Packing a bag for a hospital birth seems to be a big deal for us all. Right? We all sweat it out during the third trimester.
Read this now: 10 Ways to Rock a Natural Birth at the Hospital
Also, this post may contain some affiliate links (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here for our full disclosure. Thank you!
But it is also fun, isn’t it? I remember being so excited when it came time to pack my hospital bag for birth.
This is going to be super short and super sweet because sister this isn’t the bag you bring to postpartum.
This is simply what to bring into the labor room.
First, you will need a stellar bag with lots of pockets and sections. I suggest you choose a diaper bag that you can use for your hospital bag for labor and then convert to a diaper bag after birth.
I ordered a gorgeous Lily Jade bag for this article and the Instagram posts (check those out here). Just for the record, this is not sponsored or am I getting paid.
Read now: Real Labor VS False Labor
I chose Lily Jade because it is the only diaper bag I have used for Greyson. I bought mine in 2014 and I have used it almost daily since. It has weathered nicely and is my all-time favorite. So, when I was planning this article, I knew I wanted an updated Lily Jade bag.
I travel all the time, and now that I work online with my own business (blog and Shop Habibi House) I wanted a larger work bag. So this was a win for us both. Lol!
Here’s what I love about this stinking bag:
- It’s Vegan Leather…LOVE!
- It comes in 3 colors (I picked stone!).
- So lightweight, so important when you are lugging a baby and car seat around.
- Neutral strain and water resistant liner.
- The hidden backpack straps and hardware make this top-notch for both business and baby.
- It has gold hardware…Duh, this is a no brainer for this girl.
- 10 pockets…
- It is super deep and stands on its own.
Ladies, this bag is incredible. I am in love. The price point is amazing!
What to Pack in Your Hospital Labor Bag
This is where it gets sticky. Trust me, I know. I admit you guys to labor and delivery. Most of my inductions bring a 4 piece matching luggage set. I have even had someone bring a pack n play. I kid you not, they filled it and dragged it to the postpartum unit.
You are not going to do that because I am going to help you slim down.
You do not want to be overloaded when we transfer you to the postpartum unit or God forbid you have to go back for a cesarean. Your partner can run to the car after you get to your new room and grab all the stuff.
- A labor gown. (or something of your own to labor in. I suggest one of our gorgeous Marjorie labor gowns but that’s because I have felt them and know they are the most incredible knit fabric you’ve ever felt.
- Entertainment and chargers for tablets and phones. (be cautious cause ya’ll leave these behind a lot.)
- A swaddle set for baby. I highly suggest bringing the one you love but wrap it over the hospital ones for cleanliness.
- A water cup or bottle
- Snacks for both you and your support team. Most hospitals on the East coast won’t allow anything but chips. But I say sneak. Sorry, not sorry. Stop solids when and if you get an epidural and move to clears.
- Toiletries. Chapstick, Toothpaste, and toothbrush, Shampoo, and conditioner, lotion….
- Tennis ball for counterpressure.
- Hair tie or even better a braided turban which is functional and fashionable for pictures. (our match the swaddle and gowns).
What not to bring in your hospital labor bag for birth!
- baby stuff
- everything else…lol
Alright friends, I am so glad that we covered this valuable issue. I hate to see you guys struggling after delivery to get to your new room. Easy Peasy!
Comment below with any suggestions for a hospital bag for birth! AS always, I love to hear from you all.